Tortellini Corn Chowder
• 3 slices turkey bacon, coarsely chopped
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 rib celery, chopped
• 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 1/3 cup wheat flour
• 3 cups 1% milk
• 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 8 ounces low-fat fresh or frozen cheese tortellini, cooked and drained
1. Set a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the bacon. Cook for 1 minute, or until it releases some of its moisture. Add the onion, and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Add the corn and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Place the flour in a medium bowl. Gradually add the milk, whisking until smooth. Pour into the Dutch oven. Stir until well-blended. Add the basil and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, or until the soup thickens. Add the tortellini. Cook for 2 minutes, or until heated through.