• 3 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni
• 2 cloves garlic, minced & 1 cup minced onion
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1/3 cup wheat flour
• 3 cups skim milk
• 3/4 cup nonfat cottage cheese
• 1/2 cup shredded low-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup shredded nonfat mozzarella cheese
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat a 13" x 9" freezer-proof baking dish with no-stick spray.
2. Cook the macaroni in a large pot of boiling water according to the package directions. Drain well. Place in a large bowl.
3. Coat a large saucepan with no-stick spray and place over medium- high heat until hot. Add the onions, garlic, and oil. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until the onions are golden brown. Add the flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes (the mixture will be dry).
4. In a blender or food processor, combine the milk and cottage cheese. Process until smooth. Add to the skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Add the Cheddar, mozzarella, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the cheeses melt.
5. Stir in the macaroni, salt, and pepper. Spoon into the prepared baking dish.
6. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs and the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Sprinkle over the macaroni. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.